Do you know what dental erosion is? This occurs when your teeth when the acid in plaque wears down your tooth enamel, leading to decay and attrition. One of the biggest benefactors to the plaque that cause dental erosion is acidic food and beverages. Here are some practical ways to prevent and fight dental erosion in your mouth:
– Avoid coarse materials that can make teeth extra sensitive. For example, please use a toothbrush with soft bristles and nonabrasive toothpaste.
– Did you know that sugar can be converted to harmful acids in your mouth? Try to limit the amount of sugar in your diet.
– Keep a watchful eye on your intake of food and drink with a low pH, as they are highly acidic. This includes soda, citrus fruit and sour candies.
– In order to limit your teeth’s exposure to acid, try to eat only at mealtimes rather than snacking throughout the day.
– Try to sidestep substances or medications that can contribute to chronic dry mouth. Dry mouth occurs when your mouth doesn’t produce enough saliva. Saliva can wash away acid and sugar, preventing many instances of dental erosion.
– Avoid brushing right after meals as this may just abrade your teeth and spread acid around your mouth. Instead, chew sugarless gum or rinse with mouthwash. You can brush your teeth in as little as 30 minutes after your last bite.
-Expose your teeth to fluoride, calcium and phosphorus daily. These substances can help build your teeth enamel.
Are you suffering from dental erosion? Talk to our team at Lifetime Dentistry. We can provide you with a professional fluoride treatment to restore your smile. To book an appointment with Dr. Holly Krystek and our team at our dentist office in Muscatine, Iowa, please call us at 563-263-9082. Come see us, and let us show you the benefits of a better smile today!