No flossing technique is absolutely perfect. Humans are still learning better techniques and creating better products with each passing decade. Still, improving your technique is a worthy goal. Consider these dental tips for motivation and refinement of your flossing habit:
– Dental floss is tremendously key to eliminate plaque and food debris that brushing alone cannot reach.
– Each strand of dental floss should be anywhere about 18 inches in length. This will enable you to use a different part of the strand for each tooth so as to avoid cross contamination.
– The best way to hold traditional dental floss is to loop each end around the pointer fingers on each hand, making sure there is enough slack in the thread to move up and down the strand as required.
– Wrap the floss around each tooth in a “C” shape to effectively reach all areas of each crevice.
– Look for dental floss with shred resistant thread, such as single filament thread. This will certify it will not fail during normal use.
– An effective flossing session should last between 2-3 minutes.
If you would like to book an appointment with Lifetime Dentistry for a professional dental cleaning, including some in-person flossing pointers, please call Dr. Holly Krystek and the rest of our team at our dentist office in Muscatine, Iowa at 563-263-9082. We look forward to helping you!