Your temporomandibular joints, also known as TMJs, are jaw muscles and joints in your jaw that make opening and closing your mouth possible. If the joints are damaged, your oral health and your jaw can deteriorate. Protect your jaw so it can function properly. Here are some helpful guidelines to consider:
– If you are searching for treatment systems you can use at home, meditation and biofeedback are excellent relaxation methods for jaw tension.
– Always speak with your dentist at Lifetime Dentistry for treatments and instructions to protect your TMJs.
– Chewing tough or hard foods can strain your TMJs, so avoid risky foods and eat only softer foods.
– Avoid chewing bubble gum or biting your nails, as they can put harm your TMJs.
– Heat packs can be applied to lessen the pain caused by TMJ disorders.
– Take any medications as prescribed by your dentist.
– Bruxism can cause TMJ disorders, so rest with a night guard or a bite plate for protection.
If you would like to schedule a dental exam to check for TMJ disorders with Dr. Holly Krystek, please contact our office at Muscatine, Iowa. You can call us at 563-263-9082. Don’t let your oral health disrupt your life, take the steps now to build a better bridge to a brighter future.