Have you ever felt like no matter how often you brush, you still cannot seem to win the fight against plaque formation and tooth decay? Unfortunately, it is not enough to simply apply toothpaste to your teeth; proper techniques must also be employed to ensure the products can effectively do their jobs on the entirety of each tooth’s surface. For example:
– Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and to keep your breath fresh.
– Follow the proper steps to caring for your toothbrush.
– Visit your dentist every six months for an oral exam and professional cleaning.
– Clean your teeth daily with floss. Tooth decay can still occur in areas that a toothbrush cannot reach.
– Brush for 2 minutes, at least twice daily.
– Gently move the brush in small strokes.
– Eat a well-balanced diet consisting of all five food groups, and limit between-meal snacks.
– Make sure to brush the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces of each tooth.
– Brush your teeth at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
– Turn the brush vertically, to clean the front teeth.
The more you practice these techniques, the more effective your oral health care shall be. To learn more about proper dental techniques, or to book an appointment, please call Lifetime Dentistry at 563-263-9082 to speak with a member of our team. You can also visit our office in Muscatine, Iowa. We look forward to making your smile better.